New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 7, 2011--Summer's rapid approach...

It's the 7th of June, summer is rapidly approaching and it feels good to know I have over 2+ cords of split wood drying in my backyard. For, here in Maine, once the spring rains cease, it is time to think of firewood and winter.
My husband always comments on how I think several steps ahead in any given situation--knowing what to purchase at the store so I can make dinner for friends three nights from now, knowing what supplies will be needed if we decide to put down the new flooring in the foyer, splitting wood now even though it is June and the beginning of summer, etc. I think it comes from having lived closely with nature for the last 25 years or so.
When one season finally arrives, it means another is just around the corner, so one must prepare for that shift while enjoying what is presently on hand. So, while I enjoy watching the garden grow, I am also splitting wood and washing and sorting winter clothes because all too soon, we will need these things in our lives again.
Plus, I hate to be cold, so knowing that I have physically done much of the wood this year will give me added pleasure this winter when I throw another stick of dry maple or birch in the stove. And as they say here in Maine, firewood warms you twice, once when you split it, another when you burn it. But, I think I counted six ways that works--once to pitch it in the truck, twice to unload it, thrice to split it, fourth to stack it, fifth to bring it into the house and sixth to fill the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment