New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Friday, January 21, 2011

January 21, 2011--Another snowy day...

It was yet another snowy day here in Wellington. Every time I looked up from my computer and saw the snow swirling around outside, I felt like I was trapped inside a snow globe, one of those plastic dome, water-filled toys that when you shake it, the snow flies all around inside, landing on the little people, trees or whatever figures are glued with super glue to the cheap plastic base.
I actually looked up snow globes on wikipedia, just for a lark and found that they used to be quite the thing, especially when they first came out in France back in the late 1800s. Then in 1927, the first U.S. patent for a snow globe was given to Joseph Garaja of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Snow globes became popular in the U.S. during the 1940s, mainly as an advertising gimmick. These globes were made of glass and are probably quite valuable as collector's items nowadays. Can you imagine Walmart handing out little snow globes these days to advertise their products? Ha!
I think I felt trapped in a globe today because it was the second snowstorm of the week, with more snow predicted on Tuesday again. A couple of years ago we fell into a weather pattern similar to this one. Every Wednesday and Saturday we had a storm; I remember because I missed a lot of Spanish classes that semester as classes were Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Plus, work was pretty boring today and I found I had too many seconds and minutes on my hands between tasks.
I kept wondering if there was some higher being out in the universe who was/is playing with us all...shaking up our lives for a little fun of their own..or maybe it's because my husband just finished Stephen King's book, Under the Dome and I finally have someone to talk to about it and ( spoiler alert)... the aliens in the book at the end. Maybe one of those children has us under a snow globe dome and is shaking the world to see the pretty snow fall... if that's the case, I sure wish they would stop for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment