New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 22, 2011--Forgotten English words...

For Christmas, I bought my husband a calendar, one of those with the plastic tab that pops out on the back, so the calendar can sit on your desk, or in our case, on the kitchen table. I usually buy a calendar every year, although one year is not necessarily as good as another. So far, the best was the year we had a Far Sides calendar to go through on a daily basis; we had a lot of laughs that year. This year's calendar is on archaic English words, lovely tidbits that have been dropped along the way as the English language has transformed over the years.
Today's word is nizzle meaning to be slightly intoxicated...It also happens to be the Feast Day of St. Vincent of Saragosa, who was the fourth-century patrons of drunkards! Below the meaning of the word, there is a proverb that reads "If on St. Vincent's Day the sky is clear, More wine than water will crown the year."
Well, I did happen to notice that today was breathtakingly clear, so this proverb seems to be in tune with the day..time will tell whether more wine than water flows this year.
I like the word nizzle-- I wonder if someone is nizzled, whether they would be more inclined to nuzzle some one's ear...

No comments:

Post a Comment