New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December 22, 2010--Solar power in winter....

Many of you may or may not know, we live off the grid here in Wellington. We use four solar panels and a linked set of 6 12 volt batteries to run a system of lights in our house. We can also run the television, computers and washing machine on this system when the batteries have a good charge in them. We do have a gas stove and a gas refrigerator, so that helps with power usage. However, if we want to run a vacuum or any kind of power tools, like the table saw, we have to start the generator.
In the summer time, there's usually a lot of sun, so we don't use the generator that often but now, in the darkest days of winter, we must use it several times a day to keep the batteries at a certain level. When the days are overcast and/or snowy like they have been for several days in a row, our use of the generator escalates proportionately. We run around turning off lights as we move from room to room and limit the amount of television that the kids can watch or warn them that THEY will be the ones to start the generator this time (this usually causes them to settle in with their laptops instead of having to struggle to go outside and start the machine.)
It amazes me sometimes that we are able to make this system work at all considering we live in the north woods of Maine, not known for its long hours of sunlight even at the height of summer. And it also amazes me that in a place like Hawaii, which has far more hours of daylight than here, there is not much solar being used on the islands. It seems a shame that we want to use the sunlight to generate our electricity but can't really do it as effectively as it should be and others who would have it relatively easy, choose not to try this method.
I always look forward to the winter solstice as I know that the days will begin to get a little longer now. Every extra minute of daylight is a blessing to us, as it will keep the batteries charged for that much longer, reducing our need for the generator. This makes me feel as good or better than when I physically can get outside in that extra bit of sunlight--taking vitamin D has reduced some of the effects of the lack of sun on me personally.
So, as we move into the official part of winter now, I will start keeping track of the time when the light begins to fade outside, as I sit and work at my computer--it may be colder outside, but it will be brighter and that is a blessing in itself.
Unfortunately though, I just heard my husband go outside and start the generator to charge the batteries. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment