New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rabbit, rabbit or Happy December First!

So, today is the first of December, a gloomy day here in Wellington, Maine. This is my very first blog...Friends suggested I start one and all the writing magazines that I read recommend that writers, regardless of whether they are published or not, have a presence on-line--writing a blog seems like a good way to get started on that and makes me feel like I am taking myself more seriously as a writer.
About the title: Rabbit, Rabbit-- my mother taught me this when I was a young girl, something to say on the first day of every month, before I get out of bed, in the hopes good luck would follow me throughout that month. If you figure I started this practice when I was seven and have faithfully said it every month since then, then I have said "rabbit, rabbit" a total of 468 times so far (yeah, go ahead and do the math and figure out my age, I don't care.) I not only say "rabbit, rabbit" for myself, but have included my three sons and my husband as well for the past twenty years, so really the numbers are much higher. And, if I'm feeling particularly superstitious, I'll repeat the phrase for a variety of things that may or may not be happening in my life that month--like whether my essay will be accepted, my exercise program will begin to really be noticeable to others, my tomatoes will ripen before it frosts, stuff along those lines. 
So, next month on the first, which also coincides with being the first day of a new year, give it a try--say "rabbit, rabbit" to yourself and think about the good things you want to have happen that month--it certainly can't hurt and it just might help.

3 comments:

  1. RABBIT TO YOU TODAY AND EVERY DAY, HONEY GIRL. I KNOW YOUR AGE AND YOU KNOW MINE, SO THE HECK WITH THE MATH. LOVE YOU. AUD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lee, I'm Karen Carlson, a friend of Sally (Sarah) Waite. She told me you'd started this blog because earlier this week I told her I'd started a blog a couple of months ago. I'm doing writing exercises, posting comments on what I'm reading (I'm working my way through BASS 2010 and Ha Jin's A Good Fall right now, plus other things that come my way or just old stuff I think of) and then some random posts about television, sometimes Real Life (as opposed to writing and reading). Drop by if you like, http://sloopie72.wordpress.com, A Just Recompense. Any friend of Sally's is someone I'd like to know. Though I'm one of her rough-around-the-edges friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, Nice to meet you--I am also a rough-around the edges kind of person, so sounds like we might have some things in common...I am still very new to all of this, so bear with me :)

    ReplyDelete