New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2, 2011--Lost in the Mayan jungles...

I've been lost in the Mayan jungles all day--well, at least in my head. It felt strange yesterday to work on my book and look up once in awhile from the computer to see all the snow coming down. And again this afternoon, when the house grew quiet with the boys off visiting friends and Jeff outside, boiling sap. I got disoriented at going out into the sixteen inches of new snow instead of heading down the path to the river that exists in the book.
But, it's been a good writing day, with the ability to add little details here and there now that I've been back to the Yucatan area and know more what it looks like.
I think this trip helped solidify the location of the ending of the book, which was beginning to bother me just a little, as I hadn't quite been able to place it. Now, I think Mayapan will become the setting. It fits with the time frame of the book and since I wandered all over the place and have about 50 pictures of all the ruins, including the three pyramids, two observatories and the cenote or limestone sink hole where the Mayans collected their drinking water, I have a good sense of place.
I also had fun this am ordering some more books on ancient Mayan herbal remedies, plants and animals off of Amazon as more research material to use. I love being able to justify these purchases as needed research materials. Plus, it's far cheaper than going back to school to study Mayan culture in a more scholarly setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment