New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 17, 2011--Happy St. Patrick's Day..

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all my Irish friends and Happy Birthday to my son, Johann, who is 19 today.
Just a quick posting tonight as it has been a long day of waiting at the hospital while my husband had a routine colonoscopy--not the best way to spend this lovely spring day but the sap ran well and I collected about 24 gallons tonight which is a nice start towards a boiling.
It being St. Paddy's Day and all I thought I would list a few of my favorite Irish books, two of which I bought while in Ireland with my dear friend, Dodie. We spent a week traveling in Ireland together, visiting her relatives and staying in bed and breakfasts. We had some hilarious moments while lost in the Barrens and a scary moment when we first arrived, exited the Shannon airport in our rental car and found ourselves going the wrong way in a roundabout. It was up onto the sidewalk in a flash. I remember I quickly sketched a big "L" for "learner" on the cardboard backing of a yellow legal pad and propped it up in the back window which instantly stopped future honking when we went the wrong way.
Now for the books:
The Best of John B. Keane: Collected Humorous Writings
An Old Woman's reflections: The Life of a Blasket Island Storyteller by Peig Sayers
and Whoredom in Kimmage: Irish Women Coming of Age by Rosemary Mahoney
There are others, but they are lost on our numerous bookcases and I'm too weary to look but these three give a good taste of Ireland to any who are curious.
And here's a blessing by St Patrick himself:
"May no demons, no ill, no calamity or terrifying dreams
Disturb our rest, our willing, prompt repose..."

No comments:

Post a Comment