New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Monday, December 20, 2010

December 20, 2010--Appreciating what we have...

Why is it that  most of the time we take our health and the health of our family and neighbors for granted?
Unfortunately, it often takes an accident to someone else for people to look around and appreciate the fact that they and those around them are in good shape and able to carry out daily chores without a thought.
Today I received a phone call from a friend; her husband had an accident and will be out of commission for at least three months. I got off the phone with her and immediately hugged my son, who was in a bad car accident this fall and could easily have died if the tree had been six inches closer. Then I hugged my husband, who had spinal surgery on his neck vertebrae over a year ago to repair several slipped discs that were pinching the nerves to his left hand, making it numb. Both my son and husband are healing well.
This woman's plight reminded me of how lucky I am to have my men in my life right now, healthy and able to work and how much I take them for granted at times, accepting that they will be there to shovel the snow this winter or sand the road when it needs it. This woman will need to ask her neighbors and friends for this kind of support as she has a full-time job and won't be able to do it all herself.
It doesn't take much to change a person's life, in my friend's case, temporarily for the worse...the flip side to this is that it doesn't take much to change a person's life for the better, either. So, the next time you're at the store and the overly large lady in the wheelchair can't reach the milk on the top shelf, reach out and get it for her. The next time a friend is sick, make them some soup or offer to wash their dishes...stack some wood, stoke a fire, feed a pet, walk a dog.. reach out and help your neighbor... and appreciate all the good that you have in your own life, today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment