New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27, 2010--The Blizzard...

The Blizzard and no, I don't mean one of those ice cream desserts from Dairy Queen... Like almost everyone on the East coast, we have been having a wild storm day here, with about 9 inches of snow and strong winds. Just after lunch, when I was reading the tail end of last week's TIME magazine, we heard a particularly strong gust of wind come racing down the road, then an ominous cracking sound-- I had just enough time to switch my reading glasses for my regular ones to see a large fir tree come crashing down about 100 feet from the house.
I had thought of taking a slog in the snow for some exercise, but after that tree crashed, I remained in the house and rode my exercise bike instead. Time enough tomorrow, when the winds have died, to go look at the tree and to see if any of it can be used for the sauna I want to build this coming spring.
The wind is still roaring outside and the temps are supposed to drop to the negative numbers tonight; looks like 2010 is going out with a bang.
Meanwhile, I get notices on Facebook from friends in Hawaii who claim it is a warm, rainy day out there--nothing like rubbing it in our faces I say. My only consolation is that this too shall pass and shortly the days will be noticeably longer and warmer as spring creeps round again. It is reassuring to know that there is a cycle to all of this and that no matter how cruddy the weather today, we can always know that it will eventually change for the better. And to help speed the time, I will spend a few minutes looking at seed catalogs and dreaming of flower gardens in full bloom. I think the contrast between the storm outside and the dreams in my head help me appreciate the good days all that much more. If everyday is perfect, like in Hawaii, how can one really appreciate them?

No comments:

Post a Comment