New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010-- Christmas cards and basketball...

What do Christmas cards and basketball have to do with each other? Nothing, really, other than the fact that I will be writing cards while my husband watches the UConn women play and hopefully win, their 89th straight game.
Yes, I am finally getting around to writing cards-- every year I procrastinate later and later in the season about doing them until I feel so guilty, I sit down with a huge stack of cards and start cranking them out. Fortunately, these days I send most to people I am in regular contact with throughout the year, so I don't have to write a lot. But, there are those whom I only connect with at Christmas and they deserve a full update, which takes quite awhile, considering the year.
My oldest son, Yule, came home for Christmas and New Year's which was the first time I'd seen him in 14 months.
I went to Guadalajara, Mexico with my husband in March for a week.
I graduated from UMF in May! My middle son, Johann, graduated from high school in June!
I went to Chiapas, Mexico for two weeks in June.
We discovered a leak in our kitchen and had to remodel the whole thing, which took the whole month of August and into September and we lost our water for all that time and into October because it was such a dry summer.
My middle son was in a really bad accident the last day of September and could have been severely hurt, but was lucky and is okay.
I went to Guadalajara in October and spent ten days with Yule, which is probably one of the best gifts I've received, ever.
So, there is a lot to talk about in these cards. And because I consider it tacky to type it all out and insert printed versions of  this to people, I continue to write each card by hand.
By the end of the evening, I know my hand will ache as it is not used to writing so much any more. The computer has finally won me over and I find I can write more quickly and easily on it, than by hand. Gone are the days when all my drafts were handwritten and the only computer generated draft was the final one, where I could use spell check to make sure there weren't any typos!
So, the cards will get written, one by one, and as the evening progresses, they will probably be a little shorter and most definitely a little sloppier, too. But, I feel it's important to carry on this one tradition of handwriting Christmas cards as it forces me to slow down, to reflect on the person I am writing to,  and on my life as it has played out over the past year. There's a lot to be thankful for, and I will remember to say that, too.
So, if your card is a little late this year, now you know why...

No comments:

Post a Comment