New website...

Hello readers, I have been trying to figure out how to create a link between this blog site and my new website but unfortunately, have not been able to import one into the other. So, my new blog is found at http://www.leeecart.com
Hope to see you there!

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday, December 4, 2010-- My remedy for the common cold...

Ahh, that lovely time of year when you go visit family and/or friends and wind up sick! Yes, I have succumbed to the common cold that is passing around the state of Maine, and apparently NY, too--the sneezing, achy, stuffy head cold that still leaves you enough energy to get to work (in my case, I have no real excuse to "stay home from work" since my job is on-line and my commute consists of climbing the flight of stairs to the second floor and my desk.)
Now, all this week, I have tried the normal remedies like extra doses of vitamin C and D, lots of juice, hot tea, eating light but healthy foods, extra sleep when possible etc. and still I have continued to snuffle and sneeze. Until I went one step further with my tea--Stash's lemon-ginger tea with a tiny bit of honey and then I added a half shot of ginger brandy. Now that my friends, seems to be working...I wait until late afternoon to drink it, knowing the alcohol will make me sleepy and don't want to be on the clock in that condition, but within an hour of drinking a large mug, my head clears, I stop sneezing and I really feel a lot better.
I didn't really know that much about ginger until I looked it up on the Internet--turns out it is used in Burma, China and India among other places as a cold remedy. Usually the root is soaked in hot water, making a tea, or is boiled in a sugar syrup and turned into drops to fight off coughs and colds. Now how come no one in the US is making ginger cough/cold medicines? Not only does it settle the stomach but does seem to help with the symptoms of the common cold... try it the next time you get sick and see if it helps, it sure has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment